Tiếng Anh 12 | Major Grammar Points In Units 6-8
Các điểm ngữ pháp quan trọng trong các bài 6, 7 và 8 thuộc chương trình Tiếng Anh 12, hệ 7 năm.
THE PRESENT TENSES
- Definite future plans that have been arranged and fixed
> Present continuous
What are you doing this weekend?
We are going away.
Where are you going?
We are making a tour of Phu Quoc Island.
- A present result from a complete action
> Present perfect
The room is clean. Someone has cleaned the room.
The room has been cleaned
THE PAST TENSES
- One action after another in the past
> Simple past > simple past
When we heard about Chi Tai’s sudden death, we all got a terrible shock.
- A background to a sudden incident
> Past continuous <> simple past
We were working on the farm when it started to pour with heavy rain.
While were working on the farm, it started to pour with heavy rain.
- Something had already happened or completed before another.
> Past perfect <> simple past
All my grandparents had passed away when I was born.
By the time / Before I was born, all my grandparents had passed away.
THE FUTURE FORMS
- Simple future with WILL
> An instant decision, an offer, a promise
It seems you are getting thirsty, aren’t you? I’ll get you a cold drink.
> A pure prediction, a wild guess about the future
I’m not sure, but I think it will rain again soon.
- BE GOING TO INFINITIVE
> When there is a sure sign of something happening soon.
Look at the rain-laiden clouds coming. It is going to rain in a few minutes.
> When you have formed an intention of doing something sooner or later
When I grow up, Daddy, I’m going to work as a fashion designer. I love fashionable clothing items.
> It can be used in the same way as the present continuous ‘BE+ V-ING’ for a definite future plan that has been arranged and fixed in terms of time and company.
We are making / are going to make a tour of Australia next summer. We have booked it well in advance!
EXPECTED and UNEXPECTED RESULTS
- UNEXPECTED RESULTS
ALTHOUGH / IN SPITE OF / BUT / HOWEVER
Although he was seriously ill, he managed to get his job done in time.
In spite of his serious illness, he managed to get his job done in time.
In spite of being seriously ill, he managed to get his job done in time.
He was seriously ill, but he managed to get his job done in time.
He was seriously ill. However, he managed to get his job done in time.
- EXPECTED RESULTS
BECAUSE / BECAUSE OF / SO / THEREFORE
Because / Since / As she was seriously ill, she couldn’t get her job done in due time.
Because of her serious illness, she couldn’t get her job done in due time.
She was seriously ill, so she couldn’t get her job done in due time.
She was seriously ill. Therefore, she couldn’t get her job done in due time.
THE FUTURE TIME CLAUSE
WHEN / AS SOON AS / WHILE / BEFORE / BY THE TIME / AFTER / UNTIL …
- FUTURE TIME CLAUSE > PRESENT SIMPLE OR PERFECT
MAIN CLAUSE > SIMPLE FUTURE
As soon as I see Jane next weekend, I will give her your message.
When I have read the whole book, I will tell you how I feel about it.
- AS SURE AS TIME > WHEN
When you reach the age of fifties, you will understand my feeling of today.
- UNSURE- JUST A POSSIBILITY > IF
If it rains again tomorrow, we will postpone the climb.
REVISION TEST 01
- A. another B. together C. umbrella D. further
- A. excursion B. early C. birthday D. today
- A. firm B. term C. Saturday D. work
- A. dirty B. later C. Britain D. better
- A. consider B. words C. permission D. suggestions
- Ha Long Bay is a ___________ of thousands of limestone cliffs, about 165 km north east of Hanoi.
A. picturesque site B. highland resort C. fishing village D. mountainous area
- Da Lat is a(n) ________ with an average altitude of 1,500 meters and numerous places of scenic beauty.
A. seaside resort B. highland resort C. offshore island D. national park
- Our campsite is on the left _________ of Dong Nai River, in Nam Cat Tien ___________ .
A. side / town B. dam / theme park C. bank / National Park D. beach / Zoo
- One-Pillar Temple has ______________ a lotus rising from a lake.
A. a size of B. a weight of C. an altitude of D. a shape of
- I am writing to give you a __________ of good news I’ve just got from a classmate.
A. sheet B. piece C. little D. few
- Now that the first semester is over and we are having a few days __________.
A. rest B. relax C. away D. off
- 2009, the year of the buffalo, is going to end soon.?
A. going to the stop B. coming to the end C. coming to an end D. going to a stop
- Why don’t we go __________ a two day excursion to Phu Quoc Island?
A. on B. in C. for D. with
- To save money, I suggest bringing our _________ food and drinks and _______ the campsite.
A. personal / joining B. private / dividing C. own / sharing D. separate / cleaning
- We all have to get our parents’ _________ before we can _________ the night away from home.
A. permit / have B. permission / stay C. allowing / sleeping D. allowance / spending
- I’d like to sit on the sundeck. I enjoy having a nice suntan and having a good _________.
A. opinion B. view C. sight D. scenery
- Those who suffer from ____________ do not enjoy the idea of going away for a holiday.
A. love sickness B. common cold C. travel sickness D. disappointment
- You should apply a sunscreen to avoid getting __________ while sunbathing on the beach.
A. sore eyes B. sore throat C. running nose D. sun-burnt
- The coach we travelled on had very good ____________ and so we felt comfortable on the journey.
A. air conditioning B. air-conditioned C. photo cameras D. loudspeakers
SPEAKING & LANGUAGE FUNCTIONS
- Would you like to join us on the trip to Hanoi tomorrow? >> ________, but I have another appointment.
A. No problem B. Not at all C. I’d love to D. You’re right
- Why don’t we put Mrs. Andrews in seat 1 on the sundeck? >> ______ she doesn’t want to get a sunburn.
A. I’m afraid B. I’m glad C. It’s certain D. It would be great
- It’s best to book her a seat in the air conditioned section.
>> ________ but ask her first if she likes air conditioning.
A. It doesn’t matter B. There’s no need C. Never mind that D. You could be right
- All of these can be used to begin expressing your opinion EXCEPT
A. I suppose B. How about you? C. In my opinion D. From my point of view
- All of these can be used to show your agreement except
A. You’re right B. That’s true C. You could be right but D. That’s the way I see it
- All of these can be used to ask for someone’s opinion except
A. If I were you, I’d … B. What do you think of …?
C. How do you feel about …? D. What’s your opinion of …
GRAMMAR / FUTURE VERB FORMS
- That old man is very ill. He ( die ) _______________ soon
A. will die B. is dying C. is going to die D. has died
- ________ you please ( write ) ________ back as soon as possible?
A. Will you write B. Are you writing C. Are you going to write D. Do you write
- Can you come to the party? >> Sorry, I’d love to, but I ( go ) ______ to the movies with Jane.
A. will go B. am going C. am going to go D. will have gone
- Do you think the floor is dusty? >> Oh, yes. I ( clean ) _________ it right now.
A. will clean B. am cleaning C. am going to clean D. clean
- You should take a raincoat. It’s cloudy and windy. It ( rain ) ____________.
A. will rain B. will be raining C. is raining D. is going to rain
- Our family ( make ) ____________ a tour of Thailand next week. Could you look after the dog?
A. will make B. are making C. are going to make D. make
- There is a soccer match between Vietnam and Thailand on TV tonight. ______ you ( watch ) ____ it?
A. Will you watch B. Are you watching C. Are you going to watch D. Do you watch
- We ( go ) ________ on a three day excursion to Nha Trang this weekend. Would you like to join us?
A. will go B. are going C. are going to go D. might be going
- He has been working hard this year. He ( pass ) __________ the final examinations.
A. will pass B. is passing C. is going to pass D. will have passed
- There’s the doorbell. >> Okay. I ( go / see ) __________ who it is.
A. will go and see B. am going and seeing C. may go and see D. might go and see
Camping is an outdoor recreational activity. The participants, known as (36), leave urban areas, their home region, or civilization and enjoy nature while spending one or several nights, usually at a (37), which may have cabins. Camping may involve the use of a (38), a primitive structure, or no shelter at all.
Camping as a recreational activity became (39) in the early 20th century. Campers frequent national parks, other publicly owned natural areas, and (40) owned campgrounds.
Camping is (41) used as a cheap form of accommodation for people attending large open air events (42) sporting meetings and music festivals. Organizers will (43) a field and basic amenities.
Camping is often enjoyed in conjunction with (44), such as: hiking, hill walking, climbing, canoeing, mountain biking, swimming, and fishing. Camping may be combined (45) hiking either as backpacking or as a series of day hikes from a central location.
- A. camping B. campground C. tents D. campers
- A. tree B. valley C. campsite D. hill
- A. tent B. house C. mountain D. cave
- A. usual B. popular C. normal D. special
- A. personal B. individual C. privately D. public
- A. also B. too C. as well D. next
- A. so as B. in order to C. as such D. such as
- A. provide B. give C. open D. allow
- A. jobs B. activities C. facilities D. equipment
- A. for B. on C. about D. with
WRITING / LETTER WRITING
- Dear Nga / writing / tell you / piece / good news
- I’ve / the driving test / holding a party / celebrate it
- Free / Sunday evening / 6.30 / 9.00?
- It / great if / could come // There / only seven of us
- Could / early / help / lay / dinner table?
- Write / me / let me know / come early / your friend
- Dear Xuan / It / great / hear / driving test / Congratulations
- Thank / much / inviting me / party
- You / rest assured that / come early / give you a hand with / preparation
- Would / like me / cook a special dish / you? See you / Sunday evening / 5.30
REVISION TEST 02
SỰ VIỆC TÍNH ĐẾN NAY >> PRESENT PERFECT: HAVE / HAS + PP
SỰ VIỆC BẮT ĐẦU VÀ / HOẶC KẾT THÚC TRONG QK >> PAST SIMPLE
- This is the first time I (be) to Dalat city. It’s really wonderful.
a. was b. have been c. had been d. am
- It (be) three years since we last (see) each other.
a. has been / have seen b. was / saw c. is / saw d. will be / see
- First I (work) for Jet Star Airlines for 2 years. Then in 2005 I moved to Vietnam Airlines. I (be) with Vietnam Airlines ever since.
a. worked / was b. have worked / was c. worked / am d. worked / have been
- The last time I (visit) Hue City was ten years ago. I (not be) to Hue City for 10 years.
a. visited / haven’t been b. have visited / wasn’t c. visited / am not d. visited / hadn’t been
- There (be) five crashes in this road in the last two weeks. It is really a dangerous trap.
a. have been b. has been c. was d. were
- Hi, John. You (see) Sarah anywhere? >> Yes, I talked to her a few minutes ago in the hall.
a. Did you see b. Do you see c. Have you seen d. Had you seen
In spite of / Because of / Although / Because
- ___________ the heavy rain, the farmers kept on harvesting the crop.
- They couldn’t score a goal ______________ they played a very good match.
- She is very busy tidying the house ______________ Tet Holiday is coming soon.
- ___________ the large number of students, teachers cannot pay attention to each student individually.
- We last went to Nha Trang three years ago.
>> We haven’t _________________________________.
>> It is three years ______________________________.
- The last time they met each other was in 1999.
>> They haven’t ________________________________.
>> It is nearly ten years ___________________________.
- They bought this car in 2003. >> They have __________________________.
- We moved to this city 5 years ago. >> We have ________________________.
- I met Jim when we were at college. >> I have ______________________ since _______________.
- Because the traffic was heavy, we were late for the meeting.
We _________________________ because of the _______________.
- Although she was ill, she still went to class.
She still _____________________ in spite of ___________________.
- Because the air is polluted, more and more children get sick.
More and more ______________________ because of ________________.
- The Internet / become / most popular type of mass media.
- There / so many benefits / the Internet / also / a lot of disadvantages.
- The Internet / help us / get information quickly / our work / studies / all over the world
- It /enable us / communicate with friends / colleagues / the world by / chat / send email.
- It / encourage us / read more because / there / lots of e-books / articles / newspapers online.
- We / even download music / videos / entertainment / a lot more.
- However / there / danger / the Web.
- Children / spend too much time / surf the Web / play games.
- There / bad websites / harm / mind / heart / children / teens .
- The Net / also take time from / beneficial activities / play outdoor sports / go out with friends.
Choose the right alternative.
1. I washed / have washed my hands so that I can help you with the cooking.
2. She arrived / has arrived at Kennedy Airport at 2 o'clock this morning.
3. The Pharaohs ruled / has ruled Egypt for thousands of years.
4. I found / have found the letter you looked / were looking for. Here it is.
5. They grew/ have grown such a lot since we last saw / has seen them.
6. We recently started / have recently started to walk to work instead of taking the bus.
7. When I was younger I played / had played badminton for my local team.
8. I have had / am having the pains for three weeks now.
9. So far it was / has been so cold that we staved / have staved in the house all day
10. The last time I went / have gone to Brighton is / was in August.
11. Don't disturb Amy. She just went / has just gone to sleep.
12. Bill phones / is phoning his girlfriend again. That's the third time he phones / has phoned her this evening.
13. Since the eruption started / has started, all the villages on the slopes of the volcano have evacuated / have been evacuated.
14. The prices of houses increased / has increased dramatically in recent years.
15. Jim decided/ has decided to continue the course, even though it is said / said to be very difficult.
Read the following passage. Then choose the correct answer.
All early television was broadcast in black and white. Color television was possible, but it was too (1) ............ and of very poor quality (2) ............the middle of the 1950s. Color television broadcasts began in the United States in 1954, in Japan in 1960, and in Europe in 1967.
The first (3) ............ on the moon was broadcast (4) ............ on television in 1969, and now television programs are (5)............ all over the world immediately through the (6)............ of satellites that transmit the (7)............ from the earth, through (8) ............, and back to the earth. More people now (9) ............ their news and information through television than through newspapers and radio. The development of television is one of the most rapid and exciting (10).................of our century.
1. a. cheap b. complicated c. expensive d. valuable
2. a. until b. from c. through d. on
3. a. arriving b. flying c. landing d. moving
4. a. live b. active c. current d. quick
5. a. grown b. developed c. practiced d. transmitted
6. a. way b. use c. works d. system
7. a. sounds b. pictures c. signals d. programs
8. a. space b. atmosphere c. distance d. area
9. a. have b. get c. take d. bring
10. a. problems b. facts c. events d. issued