Vocabulary and Grammar Test for Grade 10 (Units 1 and 2)
Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the verb in bold. Do not change the words given.
1. Professor Sanchez is Spanish. (comes)
2. After the Prime Minister arrived, the conference began. (arrival)
After ____________________________________, the conference began.
3. Do you know Professor Johnson? (before)
4. By then the soldiers knew that the battle was lost. (they)
By then the soldiers _____________________________
5. The future is unknown. (happen)
Nobody knows _________________________________
6. It is hard to predict future diet exactly. (eating)
It is hard to predict exactly what ____________________
7. I think this is the solution. (appear)
8. The defendant had to pay $500 costs. (made)
The defendant ___________________________________
9. I happened to notice that the other rooms were empty. (help)
I couldn’t ________________________________________
10. We would rather that people did not use plastic bags. (prefer)
Complete each sentence with a form of the word in CAPITALS.